8 Monet Quotes to Celebrate Claude Monet's Birthday
Convert this page to a PDF
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2007
by Noel Jameson
Claude Monet was an artistic genius and it is only fitting that we celebrate his birthday with some great Monet quotes to remember him by. Here are eight to give us insight into what made this talented artist tick.
1. "We're having marvelous weather and I wish I could send you a little of the sunshine. I am slaving away on six paintings a day. I'm giving myself a hard time over it as I haven't yet managed to capture the color of this landscape, there are moments when I'm appalled at the colors I'm having to use, I'm afraid what I'm doing is just dreadful and yet I really am understating it; the light is simply terrifying."
3. "Everyone discusses my art and pretends to understand, as if it were necessary to understand, when it is simply necessary to love."
4. "It's on the strength of observation and reflection that one finds a way. So we must dig and delve unceasingly."
5. "I am following Nature without being able to grasp her... I perhaps owe having become a painter to flowers."
6. "For me, a landscape does not exist in its own right, since its appearance changes at every moment; but the surrounding atmosphere brings it to life - the light and the air which vary continually. For me, it is only the surrounding atmosphere which gives subjects their true value."
7. "I am completely absorbed by my work. These landscapes of water and reflections have become an obsession. They are beyond the strength of an old man, and yet I am determined to set down what I feel. I have destroyed some...I have begun others over again...and I hope that something will come of so much effort."
8. "I would advise young artists to paint as they can, as long as they can, without being afraid of painting badly. If their painting doesn't improve by itself, it means that nothing can be done -- and I wouldn't do anything!"
Hit paintings are treasures and some have tried to imitate, but none have been able to match his mastery. Let us remember to appreciate true genius when we see it and remember Claude Monet with these 8 great Monet quotes.
For more inspirational quotes, check out the inspirational quotes section of Famous-Quotes-And-Quotations.com, a website that specializes in 'Top 10' lists of quotations in dozens of categories.
This Article has been viewed 2,262 times. (Not updated in real-time.)Top-level comments on this article: (2 total)
» left by ananymous from Paris, France 5 years 48 days ago.
Thank youuu!!!! :D I'm doing a project for my history class on Claude Monet and your article really helped me. I really appreciate the hard work you put in to making it. Thanks Again!!!!!!!!!!
» left by Anonymous 5 years 9 days ago.
Wow! i needed to do a biography search on claude monet and needed some quotes... THNX XD :D