1. Create new users yourself.Right, you've set up your forums, made some posts, made a skin. But there is one thing missing members. Sometimes a forum needs a kick start to get it going, creating a double identity can help. You register yourself several times under different usernames, and then you post under each username. Also don’t forget to post under the admin username as well a guest likes to see an active admin. To a guest, it seems as if there is a small community going so they have a reason for joining.
2. Submit to search enginesSimple! Use a free submission service like Addme
3. Submit to forum directoriesSee the links section try to find directories with a high PR to help your PR.
4. Make your forum stand outTry to find a good skin to fit your forum to make it stand out from the rest and so the forum does not look like a 'stock board', make your logo stand out and unique. If in doubt find some help on the many webmaster forums. Also find some smiles, remember, everyone likes smiles
5. Get a domain nameIt will make your forums look more professional and also boost your traffic. 1and1.co.uk offer cheap domain names (starting at 2 quid a year for a .co.uk)
6. LinksTry to find link exchanges and set up a links page. More links = Higher PR = more members/traffic!
7. Join a post exchangeRead about post exchanges at http://www.webmaster-forums.co.uk
Forum Skinning Help/Free skins
More links will be added later
Resource From Free Webmaster Resources